Saturday, August 29, 2009

Getting your goat...

Goat meat is the most widely consumed meat in the world and until now, although I had eaten it a number of times, I had never actually cooked it myself. It seems to be a lot more common in butcher shops these days and I even saw hindquarters of goat being sold in Woolworths recently. I suspect that its inclusion as an ingredient in the hugely popular Masterchef program has created a bit of a mainstream demand for this super lean and versatile meat.

Goat is a traditional meat throughout many regions of the world including the Middle East, Mediterranean, parts of Africa, the Caribbean and throughout South-East Asia. If you are purchasing goat meat, be aware that it is also sold as Capretto or Chevon - it won't always be labelled "goat".

I decided to take a hindquarter leg of goat (the bone was already removed when I bought it) and then marinate it, before slow cooking it in the oven. The result was super tender meat with a lovely caramelised crust. I used a citrusy mariande to contrast the richness of the meat.

Because goat meat is very lean, it will dry out very easily, so you will need to make sure that you add moisture to the dish - I used water to ensure that the goat meat was always sitting in a moist environment as it cooked.

I was happy with my first attempt at cooking goat meat - I bought a whole hindquarter of the meat, so I have some in the freezer which I think I will make into a curry at some point. I will post it when I do. In the meantime, here is my recipe for roasted goat meat. I think the flavours would also work well with lamb, so if you can't source any goat, then you can substitute.


Marinated Roasted Goat with Fennel and Kipfler Potatoes

You will need:
(For the dish) 1 small leg of goat (I used a hindquarter leg with the bone removed and tied it up with string to hold it together for cooking), 1 bulb fennel sliced into thick rings, 2 large onions,
4-6 Kipfler potatoes halved, Olive oil, 1 cup water.

(For the marinade) 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, 2 cloves garlic, juice and rind of 1 lemon, 1or 2 small red chillies (I used two), 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon honey, salt and pepper.

Method: Combine the marinade ingredients well in a bowl big enough to hold the goat. Add the goat and coat it well in the marinade. Let it rest, covered in the fridge for an hour or more.

Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and brown the goat on all sides. Transfer the goat to a heavy based casserole dish with a lid. Add the onions, a splash of olive oil, a cup of water. Place the goat on top and cook in a moderate oven for an hour and a half with the lid on. Give the dish a stir occasionally and add more water if the dish gets dry. You should try to maintain a layer of liquid on the bottom of the pot at all times.

After an hour and a half, add the potatoes and the fennel. Season well and cook with the lid on for another 30 minutes. Remove the goat and wrap it in foil to rest. Give the potatoes and fennel another 10-15 mins in the oven before serving.

Serve with green vegetables and fresh sliced lemon.
*

2 comments:

  1. looks good! i've seen goat at the butcher a few times, but never ventured out to try it, may have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed at how incredibly lean it is - I had only ever eaten it in curries or stews, so I didn't really notice before. The taste when roasted isn't overly gamey either. I think most meat eaters would enjoy this one. Let us know how you go with it Peggy :)

    ReplyDelete