Saturday, November 30, 2013

Lovely Lemon Lusciousness

Today I decided to go really old school and bake a very simple, traditional recipe that is not only absolutely delicious, but is also super economical to make. If you or a neighbour has a lemon tree, and you can score some free lemons, it will be even more economical. My old fashioned lemon bars only use a few basic ingredients - but the result is a moist, sweet and tangy treat perfect for afternoon tea, or served with a scoop of ice cream or freshly whipped cream for a lovely dessert.

A luscious sweet treat deserves a pretty plate I say, so I served them on one of my favourite plates - a lovely green and white vintage number - one of a pair that I found in a flea market in Paris. I was on my honeymoon when I found them and every time I use those plates I get all nostalgic thinking of walking the streets of that gorgeous city - and the brilliant time we had. These are my instant feel good plates!

So give these beautiful old fashioned lemon bars a try - and I warn you, they are extremely moreish.


Old Fashioned Lemon Bars


You will need:
For the base: 150g soft butter, 1& 1/2 cups plain flour, 4 eggs, Juice and rind of 2 lemons, 1 & 1/2 cups caster sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt.

For the topping: 2 cups icing sugar, Juice and rind of 1 lemon.

Method: Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a shallow brownie/slice tin with baking paper.

Beat together the flour, sugar, salt and butter.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and beat for about 2 minutes. Pour into the lined tin. Note: The mixture will not really rise, so don't choose a tin that is too large, otherwise your lemon bars will be flat as a pancake.

Bake for about 30 minutes. Test with a skewer in the centre of the mixture. If it comes out clean, it's cooked.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.

To make the glaze/topping, combine the icing sugar and lemon juice (add more icing sugar or water to make a spreadable consistency if you need to)

Spread the topping evenly over the lemon base, sprinkle the lemon rind over the top. Allow for the topping to set and cut into squares or bars.

******


No comments:

Post a Comment